This recipe was modified from a Buzzfeed Burger Cookoff‘s recipe. I saw the video a long time ago but didn’t get a chance to make it until last weekend and it was such a hit! This is the first time I make a lamb dish and oh boy, this recipe is definitely a keeper.
INGREDIENTS : Makes 2 burgers + extra tomato jam.
- ~ 4lbs tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 12 oz ground lamb
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried mint
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Pinch of salt, pepper.
- Feta cheese
- Arugula leaves
- Burger bun
- Dijon mustard, mayonnaise
- Make the spicy tomato jam: Put the first 8 ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower the heat and cook until it reaches a jam-like consistency, about 20-30 mins.
- Combine the next 5 ingredients in a bowl, mix well. Just a pinch of salt is enough.
- Form into two balls. Make a well in the middle of the ball, scoop/ stick some feta cheese in here, somewhere around a couple tablespoons of cheese. Close the “well”, lightly pat down to a patty around half an inch thick. Sprinkle with salt & pepper on both sides.
- Cook using a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Let the burgers rest.
- While the meat is resting, toast the bun. Combine 1 tbsp mustard + mayonnaise, spread on the bottom bun. Follow with arugula leaves, lamb patty, 2-3 tbsp of the spicy tomato jam, and top bun.
- Firmer buns might be better – not as soggy
- Add 1 Thai chilli to the spicy tomato jam if you want spicier.
- You can use crumbled feta cheese but maybe the block feta will be better – easier to scoop/ push in the patty.
- I served with a light cucumber & red onion salad: 1 English cucumber or 2-3 persian cucumber, peel in stripes then thinly sliced (or just use a mandoline), 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced. 5 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dill, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tsp sesame oil. Adjust as needed. Mix in with the cucumber + red onion, toss to combine. Refrigerate for about 30 mins before serving.